3.24.2007

DVD Recommendation

It is rare that I will watch a movie on DVD and feel the need to tell people to rush out and see it. Even now, I'm questioning whether I really want to recommend Stranger than Fiction or not... Quite frankly, it might make me a little bit sad or disappointed if you didn't love it the same way I did. I'm actually disappointed I didn't catch this one in the theater and mid-viewing I grabbed my laptop to add it to my amazon wish list. I might even go so far as to say I would actually consider going to Best Buy right this very second to add it to my personal library.
The first thing words that come to my mind to describe this movie are: original, subtle and romantic. The Will Ferrell of Anchorman and Old School is no where to be found here. Instead, he's a creature of habit and solitude who has his life shaken up by a narrator in his head, played by Emma Thompson. Maggie Gyllenhaal plays his love interest and I can say with certainty I adore her just about as much as I lust after her brother. She had me at Secretary. There's also a bit part for Tony Hale who I will never be able to see as anyone other than Buster Bluth on Arrested Development yet still dig immensely. Queen Latifah and Dustin Hoffman are also awesome as an assistant and a professor respectively.
I laughed. I cried. That's all I care to divulge at this juncture. Either way, give it a shot. You might like it, too.

3 comments:

Shora said...

I heart your movie reviews, be they DVD or in-theatre. This one was kinda off my rader, but it's on there now!

kevin said...

I have this at the top of my netflix queue and have wanted to see this forever...

Buzz said...

Really, how good was Maggie Gyllenhaal?

Half-way through her first scene (Tax Maaaaan!) I looked over at Hugs and said "I love this girl."

She was awesome.

I was definitely pleasantly surprised by the whole movie.

I absolutely hated Emma Thompson's character, but I think that was the emotion they were looking for out of her.

-buzz