3.22.2007

300

I'm wondering how I'm going to devote an entire post to this movie. What is there to say, after all? Adapted from Frank Miller's graphic novel, the same brilliant mind that gave us Sin City, 300 is about a battle between some Greeks and Persians. If you want to learn more about it go ahead and Google that shit because I'm not here to give you a history lesson. Hell, I am hardly able to give you a decent movie review. 300 might as well have been made in Wisconsin, it is that cheesy. While visually appealing, the special effects and CGI stay very true to comic book form, the dialogue is simply tragic. If I'm not mistaken, Leonidus is rockin' a pretty thick Scottish brogue that doesn't seem very Greek to me. There are a few boobie shots for the horny teens and the battles are pretty impressive, regardless of how unrealistic they are. At one point thousands of Persian arrows are raining down on the Greek army of 300 men and not one of them gets hit. I'll suspend belief to a certain degree but I just wasn't buying that. All in all it was a good way to kill a couple hours and I'm grateful I had free passes. How on earth this became the third highest grossing R-rated movie is beyond me though. The people must be thirsty for blood and to quote Leonidus, "Spartans! Enjoy your breakfast, for tonight we dine in Hell!"

4 comments:

Buzz said...

It's becuase adult theater goers are thirsty for the R rating in general.

Studio's just dont put many of them out any more.


Gratuitous nudity is a hard thing to come by these days, mix that with some blood and pre-battle speeches like what you quoted and you got a good formula, cheesy or not.

Thank you for the review Randi, good stuff.

-buzz

Sassy One said...

I heart your movie reviews.

steve said...

You do have wonderful reviews:-]

Rex Venom said...

Sparta!!!!
(nice heels in your pic)
Rock On!