2.04.2007

The Return of The Critic

I was just marvelling that it had been a while since I'd been to the theater to catch a new flick. Apparently in the last three weeks (I think I went just before London) the ticket prices have risen to $9.25 in my neighborhood cinema. Dang. I guess I'll be sticking to DVD. So in that vein, here are 2 reviews stemming from yesterday.

Smokin' Aces
When I saw the trailer for this movie I knew in an instant I had to go. Not only did it boast a starring cast of nearly every actor in the free world but it also resembled the Quentin Tarantino/Guy Ritchie/Robert Rodriguez genre I have grown to love and cherish. Aces is like an over the top, overly long music video with lots of color and sound and action pretty much at all times. The characters are also very diverse and comic book-like. Jeremy Piven's character's name is Aces and he is a trashed mess in this movie. Not anything like the Ari I know and love. Ryan "Van Wilder" Reynolds has graduated from comic actor to a serious actor, (I felt) holding his own against the always fun to watch Ray Liotta. Aces also showcases the movie debuts of both Alicia Keys and Common, probably two of my favorite characters. Ben Affleck, who has surprisingly grown on me much like Marky Mark (without a role in this movie), has the nicest teeth in show business. While I'm not sure he's sporting his own choppers in this movie, wow. Apparently he had to smoke so much for this role he's decided to kick the habit for good. That's beside the point however. Should you see this movie? I think yes though I don't know that it was worth the whole $9.25 I dropped so consider a matinee. DVD purchase was definitely a consideration until the disappointing ending but up until then, enjoy the ride.
Season 1 of The Office on DVD
I only just fell into watching this program on television this current season so I thought that I should buy the first 2 on DVD to catch up on what I've been missing. There is potential I'll get stoned to death (I wish!) for this next statement, but I don't know that I love the 6 episodes that comprise Season 1. The Pam and Jim love story is so sweetly done that it's irresistible, don't get me wrong. But Michael (my comic hero, Steve Carell)? Honestly, I'm glad he's toned it down a notch in the later episodes I've seen. This first season makes him look like such a bumbling idiot that I'm not sure he'd have made it to regional manager. Scratch that... with his racist and ignorant comments I'd be surprised if he'd have survived long enough to make it to regional manager. He's funny, don't get me wrong, just terribly stupid. Dwight, the tragically coiffed Rainn Wilson, is hilarious and he plays so well off of all the other office mates that he steals nearly every scene he's in. First seasons are always a bit awkward but this is definitely a great show. I'm looking forward to seeing its growth in Season 2.

3 comments:

Sassy One said...

I saw Smokin Aces yesterday too. I thought it was pretty good (I had heard lots of bad things about it). Defniately loved the Alicia Keys/Common characters, but 2 things stuck with me about the movie:
1) Ben Afflecks teeth. Funny you mentioned it. Nothing like a set of pearly whites on a bond's man.
2) The ending was kind of stupid. Meh.

CP said...

I think I was the only person who didn't like Smokin' Aces. I had higher expectations of it.

CP.

Angela said...

I just started watching the office yesterday also. i thought it was pretty funny!