2.07.2007

I Had To Get It Out!

Apparently attending classes at CSUCI is going to turn me into a gay rights activist whether I like it or not. Last night in my theater class we were discussing the performance I told you guys about last week. There were two apparently: one on Wednesday that I attended and another on Friday that was a student performance built out of workshops with the performer, Tim Miller. I was talking to my classmate about Wednesday's show and she said, "I'm glad I didn't attend that one because I don't agree with the gay lifestyle." Fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. She basically alluded to the theory that being gay is a choice. I said, "Really? You think someone would choose to have no rights to marry or adopt and face a lifetime of discrimination? Interesting." It's what she said next that made me lose my shit.
She said: Being gay is like deciding to be a drug user, once you make the choice and get into it, it's hard to get out.
Oh. My. Fucking. God. All I could do was nod and tell her I respected her opinion or I would have shot her in the face. Is this really what people think? I know for a fact that she works for a church... is that what they're teaching? If so I'm glad I don't go because the Jesus I kick it with is loving and understanding and accepting. Not someone that died on a cross to breed hatred and ignorance.
That's all I can say about that. This is going to be a much harder battle to wage than I ever thought.

8 comments:

Itchy said...

Most of the people that I know that are church goers believe that being gay is a choice. I know...unbelieveable isn't it?

AND to make matters worse one person I know believes that "gays" are predators that are out in the world to recruit us nice straight people and make us have dirty gay sex with them in the streets. Because we all know that "those gays" are all about sexing it up all over town for the whole world to see...

Why did I move to Virginia?

ceedee said...

These are the same people who believe "Intelligent Design" should be taught as science alongside evolution. These are the same people who elected our asshole president, believe there is still a controversy over global warming and refuse to believe things when valid evidence is presented. They don't think, only regurgitate what their preacherman tells them. Kudos to you for keeping your mouth shut, I would have slapped the bitch. We can only hope she is young enough to open her mind up and form an opinion on her own. Maybe you can help her with that....

Randi said...

Itchy: I have yet to be recruited by a homosexual. Do I smell?

Ceedee: She's at least 35-40 yrs old. Crazy extremists are dangerous.

Sassy One said...

I can't believe people think that being gay is a choice. Riiiight.
You are born that way. I can pick out kids who I'll bet a zillion-trillion-kabillion dollars are gay. I just hope by the time they grow up they have better rights.

Oh..and blogger ate my first comment so if this appears twice...blame blogger!

Hella said...

Randi girl I hear you fully on this one. I have an aunty Mike. I grew up around gay people and have always accepted them. I hear and see the torment and discrimination they go through. I don't see it as they made a choice personally. I mean why would anyone want to be treated like this and not have rights to a family or marriage. Nevermind that most families still don't easily accept this life style and then they are ousted from their own family who is meant to be your major support through life.
I got into it with a girl when I was in college about gays and the whole HIV/AIDS debate...I tried to stay calm but the amount of hate she was spewing I couldn't take. I had a few choice words to say about her teaching young children and how its sheer ignorance that keeps the hate breeding!
People are stupid!

Randi said...

you gals have no idea how much these responses mean to me. i was beginning to worry there was no hope but there has to be more peeps like us out there to help fix it. very reassuring.

JJ said...

reminds me of donnie davies

http://www.eveningservice.com/Video

Randi said...

JJ:
I pray that is not real.