2.28.2007

Happy Birthday, Bubbo!

That right there is my favorite and only uncle. Throughout my life he has been more like an older brother to me even though 18 years separate us. He lived with my parents when I was a baby and I guess that's when he became my hero. He introduced me to my love for religious icons as well as to Skurvy (that Paul Frank skull and crossbones I rock all over the place). He broke me in when it came to punk music, Blondie and remixed dance music (AKA Gay Dance Party). Without him I wouldn't have tried indie movies or have this appreciation for British humor that I do. It was his love of London and New York that encouraged me to travel alone and to fall in love with the latter city. He encourages me in my photography and in my life. He has taught me tolerance for alternative lifestyles by gradually introducing me to gay culture in both Los Angeles and The Castro in San Francisco. When I moved away from home for the first time at 19, it was his guest house I lived in. When I first learned to drive the freeway, he was one of the first people I visited out of town. I guess what I'm trying to say is, my uncle is a huge reason I am the person I am today. For that I wish him the happiest birthday! XOXO

3 comments:

Coodence said...

Yay! Happy Birthday, Uncle Soloflex!

Sassy One said...

He sounds like an awesome uncle! If only we all so lucky to have uncles like this!
Happy Birthday to him!

Shora said...

What a fabulous tribute. I hope you sent him this link. Happy Birthday Uncle Bubbo!