2.12.2007

El Laberinto del Fauno

Yesterday afternoon I went to see the amazing Pan's Labyrinth. This, in my opinion, is how movies should be made. The Captain is quite possibly the best villain I've ever seen in a movie. Ever. Period. He is pure, unadulterated evil. There are several scenes that had me covering my eyes with my sweatshirt and others that had me as delighted and fascinated as a child. This, however, is definitely not a children's fairy tale. It's a very dark movie set in fascist Spain in the mid-40s. In Pan's Labyrinth there are two stories occuring simultaneously. One is about guerrillas trying to overthrow the Captain. The other involves a young girl and her mother, married to the Captain and pregnant with his son, that move to a mill next to a magical labyrinth. And no, David Bowie is not there in a codpiece. The girl learns from a faun that she is a princess and has to accomplish 3 feats in order to inherit her kingdom. They are disgusting and terrifying feats but it's a treat to watch this young girl overcome such incredible obstacles. The ending disappointed the person I went to see it with but I was quite pleased. After sitting through so many bullshit movies in the past year it was refreshing to see something completely different than anything I've ever seen before. Not only that but it had me laughing, terrified, sad and enthralled all in 90 minutes time. And just in case you were unaware, this movie is in Spanish with English subtitles. Go see this. You won't be disappointed. Just make sure you don't eat beforehand. There is quite a bit of very graphic violence.

2 comments:

Not-faint-hearted said...

I totally agree. If this movie doesn't win awards on Saturday it will be a shame.

Go see it. And take some hankies, too.

Macca said...

I've heard nothing but positives about this movie from friends who have seen it.