2.27.2007

Doctor/Patient Privilege Much?

I have a doctor's appointment this morning to see why I have gotten a cold or virus or flu or bug every two weeks for the last few months. I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. Man, does that give you deja vu, too? I know I've typed that before. A few years ago I noticed I was gaining weight and was depressed and lethargic and the doctor had the brilliant idea to test me for hypothyroidism. Turns out I had it and I've been taking medication for it for the last couple of years. My depression lifted for the most part but I'm still chubby and sleepy. I chalk that up to being part bear but I could be wrong. Anyhow, yesterday I went to get a blood test and my mom just called me at work to give me my results. "Your mom?" you ask? Why not my doctor? Oh well it just so happens we are both his patients and he called her instead of me. That part I'm not so shocked about. The fact that he actually revealed confidential information about my health to my mother when I am a grown ass woman is just totally inappropriate. What if it had been an AIDS test or a pregnancy test? Needless to say, he'll be hearing about this later.
***Update***
According to my doctor there is no reason for my illnesses. None. Nothing I can do about being susceptible to everything that comes 'round the bend. No herb I can sip, no pill I can take, no vitamin supplement. There is nothing wrong with my red blood cells, my thyroid levels are fine and I'm not anemic. I've been given a clean bill of health. Bossman says it's mental illness but I don't think mental illness runs out of your nose or drips down the back of your throat. I'm just saying. And it isn't hypochondria because I have symptoms you can actually see. So there. I'm so mother-fucking, cock-sucking, son-of-a-bitching frustrated right now I could spit. I just want to be well!!!

11 comments:

Coodence said...

Classic dude. So classic.

Randi said...

And totally illegal to boot!

Macca said...

That may or may not be a violation of HIPAA, depending on who you have indicated to the provider as a party privy to your protected health information (PHI). If you indicate that your mom is still a valid contact, or haven't updated that contact info to indicate otherwise, it's not illegal. You may want to let them know that your PHI (diagnoses, treatments, med records, etc) can only be released to you.

JJ said...

I can just imagine the voicemail:

"Hi Randi. This is your mom. I'm sorry I have to be the one to tell you this, but you have gonorrhea... and syphilis... and maybe crabs too. We're going to need a hair sample."

Randi said...

FYI: The lab had my old phone number on their paperwork so the doctor just called my mom's house and when she answered he said "Ms. B****h?" and she said "Yes" assuming he meant her and BOOM! Test results were given. No harm, no foul.

Itchy said...

I went to a doctor one time where another young lady by the name of Itchy McGhee also went. The other Itchy was pregnant, I was not. I started receiving all of these baby coupons and magazines in the mail. Then I got my EOB in the mail and as I reviewed it I noticed that my insurance was being billed for pre-natal visits. So I called the doctor. Seems one of the insurance clerks got confused by having two Itchy's around and billed the wrong insurance. Now what if I'd been at the doctor for AIDS or something? Plus the billing lady got snotty with me when I called to tell her that it wasn't me, I'm not pregnant. Lady then said "Yes you are!" Um...wouldn't I know? She was let go.

NOW - I fail to believe there is nothing wrong with you. Did they allergy test you? Did you ask for an allergy test? You need an allergy test!

Randi said...

JJ: Damn! What have you heard about me and my sexual practices??

Itchy: I asked to be referred to an allergist and we're going to see if the insurance approves it... 5-7 business days from now. Perhaps at the dawn of a new cold.

Sassy One said...

Bleh..go with the allergy test if you can...and in the mean time try to boost your immune system with some multi-viatmins a Vit-C pill and lots and lots of healthy food.

Not that I'm a doctor or anything, but I have one fuck of an immune system.

Feel better and be thankful its not ebola.

Rach said...

You must be fed up by now of this honey. And FYI, I would smack the doctor's teeth out for that faux pas. Big mind support coming your way. x

hotdrwife said...

First of all, I do hope you get to feeling better really, really soon. Being sick - one after the other - is just not fun.

Secondly, when I was covered under my parent's insurance but working somewhere else, they'd get my bills and mom freaked when she read they'd done a pregnancy test (routine of course) at my check-up. I determined then and there I'd dump that insurance and go for the one where she'd never know, one way or the other.

Ugh.

Jessica said...

Funny. My family all goes to the same clinic and they don't even like to talk with the rest of us about the aftermath of the very interesting brain surgery we all know my stepmom had. They pretend they don't know who we are talking about.