1.28.2007

Supercallifragilisticexpialidocious!

When I was in London earlier this month the stage production of Mary Poppins was running in the theater district. Had I stayed longer and brought a few hundred dollars more to spend, it's something I would have definitely liked to have seen. Lord knows it wouldn't be the same minus the delightful Julie Andrews but I'm sure it would be a hoot nonetheless. When I was a babysitter/nanny I would pretty much force the children to watch Mary Poppins (On VHS! The horror!) quite often. I love it. The music? The darling redheaded son and precocious blonde daughter? A surpisingly handsome Dick Van Dyke rockin' the worst cockney accent in the history of film? The uppity British humor? Sigh. So when they released the 40th anniversary edition DVD I plunked down the $20 to call it my very own. Yesterday I got into my pajamas around 5 o'clock in the afternoon (Rough Friday. Long story.) and decided to watch it for the first time in many, many years. I wonder if they would be able to "sell" a movie like this today? If not, I think it's a shame. Mary Poppins is the very essence of a strong, independent woman who explains for nothing, runs a tight ship and is still never cross. It's too bad there aren't more women like her in the world today. I recommend giving this a viewing if it had been a while. It's a good one.

7 comments:

Sassy One said...

Sadly I have never seen Mary Poppins. What can I say? I was deprived as a kid.

I was subjected to countless hours and replays of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang when I was a nanny though.

Rach said...

Cult viewing, espesh for the dancing penguins. Oh and the quote I use with my staff
" I am perfect, I am Mary bloody Poppins, so don't question me again". lol

exile said...

hmmmm... you know, i never asked but with all this talk of mary poppins and loads of cockney...

did you get your Chimney swept

Chim-chim-cha-roo

truckdriver_sefl said...

I belive movies like that would sell for sure.

LOL Exile:-}

Randi said...

Sassy - Get on it, girl! I never saw Chitty Chitty Bang Bang though so we could just call it even.
Rach - I can see the resemblance between you and Mary Poppins.
Exile- What happens in my chimney stays in my chimney.
Trucker - Really? I think we're much too jaded of a people for a feel-good movie like MP to work today.

Shora said...

I love this movie, and "Chitty..." I think it's the Dick Van Dyke thing... he was the star of my very first dirty dream. Yeah, I'm a freak.

Jessica said...

I saw Mary Poppins at The El Capitan Theater on Friday. We took about 20 of the developmentally disabled people I work with to see it. What's better than Mary Poppins? The sing-a-long version with 20 people who KNOW ALL THE WORDS, that's what. I love Mary!!