1.23.2007

A New Day Has Come

Every now and then I get the urge to start a blog post with Celine Dion song lyrics. Is that so wrong? And now for the Monday rundown. I never did wake up at 5 a.m. to go to the gym. Well, that's not true. I woke up at 5 a.m. and then told myself, "Myself, go back to bed." So it was written, so it shall be done. It was Monday after all. That's no way to start the week. So instead I decided to watch what I eat all day. I'm not going to sign up for Weight Watchers again but I still have the books and stuff so I figured I'd count points at least and so I did. Actually was a point under for the day if you can believe it. Baby steps. I'll get back to the gym again. I just don't know when at this juncture. I have a little over 3 months until thirty so I'd like to at least get my 10s loose again by then. Man. Reading back over that paragraph it is pretty peppered with the word "I." This blog really is all about me...
So school was great. My chemistry class is on Mondays and Wednesdays for 75 minutes. This professor has the right idea. Apparently he works full time for Amgen so this whole teaching gig is really just for shits and giggles. He pretty much told us he doesn't take attendance because he doesn't really care if we go or not. He also said he doesn't care if we pass or fail because teaching isn't his day job and if the administration wants to get mad at him for us failing so be it. So refreshing. Finally a professor that "gets it" that we're grown-ass people and at this stage in our life education is a choice we make and we don't need professors as babysitters or classrooms as our nurseries. Amen. However, he really seems passionate about his subject matter so this ought to be a very interesting class. He threw the word "certainly" around so many times I nearly struck him with my notebook but that is an obstacle I'm certain we can overcome. Certainly.

4 comments:

April said...

Baby steps are good.

Now excuse me while I go tip my 40!!

Macca said...

I had a professor for entry lvl Spanish who didn't get it.

I had 5 years of Spanish under my belt from Middle/High school and took the entry lvl class in college to satisfy the requirments.

I got 95% plus on all the quizzes, a 98 on the mid-term and a 95 on the final and he FAILED ME BECAUSE I DIDN'T HAND IN MY WEEKLY WORKSHEETS.

I contested, yet he flat out argued that "in the real world you'll be required to do all the work asked of you, regardless of your knowledge of the subject".

Fuck him. He was just power-trippin.

hotdrwife said...

Certainly sounds like a good time.

Er, um .... :)

steve said...

I can see that notebook sailing across the room as we speak!!