1.25.2007

Heavy

vs

Itchy sent me an interesting article this morning that I feel I must share. Tyra Banks is two inches taller than me and weighs about ten pounds less than I do and she was called "porkchop." Is it any wonder that women are obsessed with their weight and that those of us carrying around a few extra pounds call themselves the eff word? I'm serious. I refuse to use that word with a negative connotation any more. It's detrimental and serves no purpose. Fat is something you trim off of meat and something that insulates our body. Fat is not an adjective. No more. When I went to see Dreamgirls with Hetero Life Partner I made what I considered to be a passing comment that I didn't understand how a stage performer (Jennifer Hudson) could be overweight because of all the dancing and rehearsals. HLP proceeded to tell me I had a "prejudice against fat people." I guess in a sense that is true because, really, being heavy is something you can somewhat control. Not to say it's easy or that you should have to but it is avoidable. More movement, less eating and/or better food choices and voila! Problem solved. I guess being heavy is just something I don't want for myself for health and vanity reasons so I tend to project on to other people. Then again, there are many out there that believe big is beautiful and I've definitely seen many a buxom beauty so in no way am I trying to promote the idea that everyone should be thin. Quite frankly, the likes of Kate Bosworth and Nicole Richie make me want to boot while curves like those of Queen Latifah and Salma Hayek make me swoon. So long as you are healthy, knock yourself out. But if you're breaking a sweat and gasping for breath doing a flight of stairs, maybe you need to start thinking about taking care of yourself a little better rather than sue McDonald's. That's all I'm saying.

14 comments:

April said...

I agree with you 100% on this issue. The psychotic coke whore roommate I lived with was slightly over-weight and she said that I only think people are attractive if they're skinny. And this just isn't true. For example, Garth Brooks. I'd fuck the shit out of that fat bastard. The coke whore was just an ugly person inside AND out regardless of her weight. She had the nose the size of a small third world country and wore entirely too much make up. She dressed in clothes three sizes too small for her body and was just a psychotic bitch.

I do believe that some people are genetically predisposed to be larger. For those people, I think that they need to work twice as hard to not be so big and that really sucks. But there are other people who just don't take care of themselves and pack on the pounds.

Randi said...

April,
I was once told I was only friends with attractive people. Some comments are so absurd they are practically unbelievable.

Itchy said...

You know...I've thought about this for a better part of the day...yeah, I know...sick day.

Anyway, mostly about your comment about performers. I don't believe that one comment alone would make me think that you are prejudice against "fat" people. It's just a observation based on the amount of moving around that a lot of performers do, it is hard to see why they would be "heavy." I mean...they move around a hell of a lot more than I do...

Mostly I'm just glad that Tyra came out and said "Dudes...this is how much I weigh and shut up about it because I'm not fat and you're upsetting the world!"

I saw a website a few months ago that had a quite awesome picture of Scarlett Johanson on it in a bikini and a lot of the comments were about how fat she is. Comments like that are the reason why so many of us run around hating our bodies...grrrr....

Itchy said...

I meant to see it's hard to understand how they would be heavy....gah!

Itchy said...

see = say

Man...type much?

jsull28fl@yaho said...

i dont get it cause scrawney chicks are so unappealing to me. It seems that folks get not skinny and unattractive confused.
no skinny chicks for me
js

Jessica said...

Didn't Jennifer Hudson have to gain weight for Dreamgirls?? Even so, I agree with you totally. It's about being healthy and happy. Sure, I could lose a few pounds, but (for the most part) I make good food choices and work out pretty regularly. I want to live a long time, so I intend to do whatever it takes to get there. If that means less french fries and more sweat, so be it. And do I wish the same for the people I care about? Of course I do.

dirk.mancuso said...

I think Queen Latifah is one of the most beautiful women around. Ditto Kate Winslet, who I continuously see referred to as "full figured."

And if you think women are hard on themselves with the eff word, you should talk to gay men. I am 6'4 and 200 pounds and have been told I need to lose a few. And I'm trying, but damn -- does anyone look at character and personality anymore?

Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

fyrchk said...

I'M A FULL FIGURED, THICK, WHATEVER THE HELL YOU WANT TO CALL IT CHICK.

That's all. *giggling and sneaking off to bed instead of the gym*

Jessica said...

I LOVE the term thick. I once catagorized myself as thick in a personals ad. It's interesting to see the difference between the reposnses you get with thick and the reponses with full-figured - even when NOTHING else about the ad is different.

Randi said...

Itchy, I'd give my kidney to look like Scar-Jo.
JS, in no way did I mean to imply big gals can't be pretty. I'm with you.
Jessica, I was referring to Hudson's character not so much the actress herself. And yes she totally had to gain weight.
Dirk, gay men really do have it worse, I've seen that with the guys my uncle runs with.
Fyrchk, I went to the bed instead of the gym, too!

Sassy One said...

Funny, the conversations we've had recently really made me stop and think..then finding that old pic of me made me depressed...but you are right.I'm getting off this rollercoaster! I'm more determined to be more healthy and love me (god that sounds kind of gay..but whatevs).
:-)

Coodence said...

i only like attractive people.

:P

(I also think about 80% of the population are attractive, so I think I may be in the minority there.)

Shora said...

Well said my dear!!! You rock. And thank you, because you've made me feel better about the 15 pounds I've gained since I quit smoking. I'm still at the low end of my ideal weight / height ratio, so why did I feel fat?!!? Grrrrr!