12.11.2006

Apocalypto

Go see this movie. Put aside your thoughts about Mel Gibson's anti-Semitic remarks and just remember what the man can do with material like Braveheart. Believe me, I had qualms at first about giving my seven bucks to Mel but in the end it was more than worth it. This movie proves that you don't need beauties like Brad Pitt or Nicole Kidman to make a great film. There isn't a single "known" actor but I was enraptured by what was on the screen. The costumes were unlike anything I've ever seen before. The dialect wasn't overwhelming and the subtitles were easy to follow. I can honestly say I wept openly for the majority of the first half of the movie while I watched a tiny village get ravaged - babies torn from their mothers, wives torn from their husbands and utter destruction. Very hard to watch considering this actually happens in the present day world. But there was also a great love story woven in as well as quite a few humorous scenes. Nothing was too over the top aside from a mass burial site that we wondered if it could possibly have happened considering the low birth and survival rate of a tribe living in a jungle at that time but that's besides the point. The special effects were very realistic. Apocalypto was beautifully done and very moving. You could tell Mel Gibson put his heart into it. And it made me want to see Passion of the Christ so that's really saying something and that something is go see this movie.

1 comment:

Itchy said...

I've been intrigued by this movie since I saw the trailer for it. I may have to break down and see it...