12.31.2006

2 Movies in 2 Days

Last night I took in a showing of Dreamgirls with Hetero Life Partner. There is something about musical theater and musicals in general that I just love. I know a lot of people just can't get into the idea of characters randomly breaking into song and I agree with them - it either works very well, as it does in this film, or it fails horribly, as it did for me in Rent. You know a movie is phenomenal when the theater audience bursts into applause multiple times during the viewing and then again as the credits roll. Jennifer Hudson's powerful voice blows Beyonce's out of the water and her solo "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going" literally brought tears to my eyes. That's not to diminish Beyonce's role, however. I doubt I've ever seen anyone more beautiful than she is in this movie and her vocal range is quite impressive. The camera simply loves her and she comes across like a Barbie doll come to life. The costumes and scenery are great, the cast is amazing and the soundtrack is purchase-worthy. Not only that, but the story itself is well told and interesting. I clearly recommend this one... though I'm still not entirely sure why Beyonce gets top billing and all of the posters and publicity while Jennifer Hudson unfairly continues to "sing back up." She's truly the star of Dreamgirls.

No comments: