11.05.2006

The 'Hood

When I first found my apartment I was so excited. After living with my parents for over 2 years after 9 years away I was anxious for my freedom, to get all of my things out of storage and to have some time alone. As far as interiors go, this place fits me like a glove. Just yesterday I picked up some bar stools and have been acquiring finishing touches that really make my apartment mine. Pretty much the only thing left to buy would be a giant piece of art to cover the white wall in my kitchen but all in all, I'm happy with the way my 2nd hand furniture came together with some of the new things I've gotten. It's cozy here. You should drop by sometime. But you have to be able to handle noise. My parents' house is on a golf course in a gated and sort of geriatric community so most times the silence there was deafening. I'd come from Los Angeles where helicopters would practically land on my rooftop and sirens were commonplace every 5 to 10 minutes. It was an adjustment but I loved the quiet nights, it was the insanity of the chirping birds in the morning that really got to me but in hindsight how can I complain about the sound of nature? Now, I hear things I wish I didn't have to. Take this morning for example. Because my bedroom is in a loft it gets a bit toasty so I sleep with my window open. At 4 a.m. I was awakened by the repetitive calling of "Hey, Homey." Over and over. Apparently someone had passed out in front of my neighbor's door and he couldn't get into his apartment. Don't worry though, from what I heard, he was breathing so luckily we didn't have a homicide on our hands. Then at 6 a.m. (on a Sunday morning, people!!!), some dummy was warming up his car for many minutes all the while blaring mariachi music. For those of you outside of a predominantly Hispanic community, it's basically Spanish Polka. I just don't need it. Constantly. It's all the time. The thumping bass. Kill me now. And the piece de resistance (to be said with the corniest of French accents) was my mother calling at 8 a.m. after I'd finally fallen back to sleep. Turns out at a charity auction last night she got tickets for 6 of us (Family + Randi's guest) to go see George Lopez perform at the Gibson Amphitheater at Universal Studios on December 27. Not only that, but this group of honkies even gets backstage passes! You may recall the last time I saw G-Lo. All I can imagine is that good times will ensue once again.

By the way, today is Kitty's 27th birthday. You don't know her and she doesn't have a blog but I thought I'd give a shout out nonetheless. I'm off to brunch in a few, anxious for the food coma I'll be in all afternoon. The Lord's Day, indeed.





1 comment:

Shora said...

It's sunny and warm there isn't it? I'm jealous.

Happy birthday Kitty!